Article Rss Facebook

Reader StoryAnna Ma

September 1, 2015

Anna Ma came from China eight years ago. She was an elementary teacher in China. She loved her job and her students.

Then in 2007, her life changed completely. She immigrated to the U.S. with her family. At first, she had a big problem with English. She couldn’t speak or understand her neighbors or the cashiers in the store. She did not love living in the U.S. She even thought she might go back to China. However, her son did not agree with her. He loved the U.S., and he needed to go to school. So she decided to stay and study English at Bellevue College.

She studied very hard. After two years, she finished her ESL classes, and she started to take Early Childhood Education classes. In 2011, Anna graduated from Bellevue College with an AA degree, and then she got her first job at an early learning center.

Since 2013, Anne has been teaching Chinese language classes in her home. There are about thirty students in her classes. Once again she is a teacher. She loves teaching every day. She loves her students. She feels successful with her life.

Developed by Gengping

Published September 2015

Comments (9)

1. Vicki says:

Anna continued her education which was not easy at that time.
    She is a good example for for new immigrates.

2. Vera Tuzhlova says:

Nice story Anna! This is very support story for many immigrants! “Never give up,” she told every one!

3. venassa says:

Awesome! You are really successful. You story encourage me. I think I also can find my future in USA.

4. yaxuan says:

I have the same problem as Anna when I came to American.Now,I am studying at BC. I got many progresses in my English.I am enjoyed my study experience in American.

5. li.feng says:

Now I have same problem with her. I just immigrated to the U.S. with my family. I can’t speak fluent English. I can’t understand the other’s meaning.
    After I read her story, I see the hope. I will study hard to improve my English. Actually I was a university teacher in China. I teach Chinese language about 10 years. So maybe I will have a job to teach Chinese in the future.

6. Hanh says:

Hi Anna,
    Thank you for your sharing about the true of your life. It makes me try to learn more. I would like to get my life useful. I also want to get job. So, first thing, I like to try to read and speak and listening
    Thanks

7. Hanna says:

Anna is a good example for the new immigrants! BC is a good college, which give people so many options.

8. Lien Tong says:

Hi , i just came to Us last year ,i was a hairstylist in Vietnam and i loved my job as well as i loved my clients so much. when i read your story i like your passion and i understant you tried your best,i ll do that ,try and try
    Have a great time Anna